Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Morning from You Know Where...

So let me paint the picture of what I woke up to this "Fine" April morning! Imagine my surprise as I woke up and sleepily looked out our open window in good old Rexburg Idaho to see 2-3 inches of SNOW!!! YES SNOW! The wind was howling at at least 50 mph. I could only see about 30 feet from the window though the pounding snow and wind. All this much to my surprise since yesterday was in the mid 50's and sunny skies. I really should not have been surprised since this is Idaho. I had to go into work today in Idaho Falls a mere 30 minutes away so my spirits sank to think of having to go out in that mess let alone drive in it. I got up, got ready, and then got little Lilly Bug bathed and ready to go. My sweet husband who normally would have gone out and started my car for me and scraped all the windows, had to go into work early so that job was left up to me.

I am usually one to think ahead and work things out so that I am NEVER late to anything and get really put out if things don't go according to plan. So I put Lilly in her car seat through her much protesting. Then I donned my coat and ventured out into the mess! It took all I had to keep the blanket over the baby from flying away never to be found again. I hurried to put the little one in the car and even though she was screaming I grabbed the snow scraper and went to work chipping away at the caked on snow while standing in a 4 inch snow drift. The wind and icy snow pelted me in the face making my recently applied makeup smear down my cheeks. All I could think was "Serves me right for living on the top of the hill in Rexburg".

Finally the car was clean enough to see out the windows and I hopped in the car. As I was about to put the car in reverse I happened to look down to see the gas gauge hovering over the red "E" for empty. There was no way that I was going to clean off the other car and move everything including the car seat and it's base into it and take it instead. I was just going to have to go to the gas station. The roads were slick and my nerves were on edge. It didn't help having a five month old screaming in the back seat.

I made it to the gas station on fumes and then hopped out of the car once again into the blizzard. I inserted my debit card only for it to be denied. Twice! I had money in my account I was sure of it. I stood there perplexed as a nice man walked out of the convenient store to tell me that their card system was down and I would have to pay inside with Cash! So I ran in and as I opened my wallet I found a lone 1 dollar bill and nothing else! I was about to go back out and go home and call into work to tell them I wouldn't be coming in. I asked the clerk if there was anything I could do and he told me the ATM was still working. I walked over and paid $2 to get a twenty dollar bill and prepaid for my gas in a hurry!

I ran out to the car and started the gas pumping and jumped in the back seat to get the baby situated again! She was hysterical and just sobbing. (It was time for a nap) Finally I got on the highway and on my was to work. A couple of times I considered turning back because the reads were so bad but I pressed on. As soon as I drove into Rigby the roads were clear and not a sign of a snow storm! When I drove into Idaho Falls, the sun was even shinning and when I told all who would listen my story, they couldn't believe it. If it wasn't for the snow on the hood of my car I think they would have thought I was pulling their leg.

Needless to say, I got to work on time and the rest of my day has gone a lot smoother. What a test of my patience!

1 comment:

tolmanranch said...

Oh Mel, I lived that experience with you!! And yes your dad is very wise-grandpa used to say that it was just as easy to keep tank full as empty
grandma